Microsoft Web Platform Installer is free software that packages all of the essential developer tools making it easy to install any of their free web apps like WordPress, Orchard, and DotNetNuke. It comes with everything you need to run a website like IIS, SQL Express, .NET, and more to get you started right away. No more searching and downloading each individual application. Here we will walk through the steps to install WordPress on your Windows VPS.
Installation Of WebPI
1. Open your VPS by logging into your control panel and clicking on the Virtual Private Cloud icon. Click on the VM name and then click on the RDP link.
2. Connect to the server and open your web browser within the VPS. Navigate to the Microsoft WebPI site to download and install it then click on Applications in the top menu and scroll down to WordPress. Click Add from the list and click Install.
3. Once you select your application and click Install, it will tell you what’s needed to create the site. It will be automatically download right from WebPI in one neat package. Enter the admin password and agree to the terms so the WebPI can begin the download to configure everything it needs to run WordPress.
Configure The Site And Database
1. You will now need to tell the application where you want it to go. For my application of WordPress, I selected Default Web Site and removed the application name. Leave all of the default settings as they are and click Continue.
2. Now you will setup the database and user information. Choose Create New Database and enter your Database Administrator Username and Password you setup in the beginning of the install.
3. Scroll down to the Database User Name and either keep the default or set your own. Create a password you will use to access the database and leave the Database Server as localhost. Click Continue to finish the install.
Launch Your Site
You will now see a screen that tells you everything was installed properly. Click on the link to launch WordPress.
Give your site a name and fill in a username and password you’ll use to log into your dashboard. check your email address to make sure it’s correct and if you’re ready to have your site searched by Google, make sure the box is checked so the site is public. Click Install WordPress to complete this step.
You have now completed the WordPress installation and will be prompted to login. Enter the username and password you just created to open your dashboard to get started with your WordPress customization!
You are now ready to pick a theme or website design! Click on the Appearance tab to start browsing the options that are best for your needs. Now that you see how easy it is to create your own Windows Hosted VPS and install WordPress with WebPI, what are you waiting for? We would love to have you come back and leave links to the site designs you created after following this tutorial and share this article in your social media circles! Happy hosting!